Sunday, January 27, 2013

TWI's Interview with BOEING BOEING's Carla Dunareanu



 TWI's Chewy Buhion had the wonderful pleasure of sitting down with some of the cast and crew of Repertory Philippines' season opener, BOEING BOEING.



Carla Dunareanu –Gretchen
 Carla plays Gretchen, the feisty German airhostess from Lufthansa. You may recognize her from the hit TV Show, Kitchen Musical, where she appears along side Christian Bautista and Karylle. Carla makes her first Philippine theatre debut with Rep's BOEING BOEING, and we got the inside scoop on her audition process, and how she landed the role!



Your character Gretchen is considered dominating, how similar is Gretchen to Carla, and what did you bring to this role?

“I don’t think I’m very dominating as a person. But I do know what I want. There is quite a difference between Gretchen, and myself, Carla. Gretchen is very much, ‘I’m going to go out. And I’m going to get it. And he’s my man.’  She’s like a cave woman basically in a cave man body. It’s very strange. She’s very masculine, yet at the same time she loves the idea of love. She wants someone to come and be small enough for her to sweep off his feet. That’s her idea of love. 

  “Our similarities? I’m quirky like her as well. I think when you see the play, you’ll realize she’s got a lot of weird habits just kind of like me. It was fun! It was very easy to get into Gretchen. I think Miguel Faustmann really wanted me to be the not stereotypical German, but he wanted it to be very clear in her physicality, in her voice, in her actions. So I’m not like that, even though I am from Germany!”


How has it been so far, coming here to The Philippines? Being able to act, and have your other projects happening. How has that journey been?

“I was really excited to be a part of this play. I’ve been here for 9 months, here in the Philippines, and this is my first professional theatre performance here in the Philippines. To work with a company like Repertory, first off is amazing. Doing this alongside radio really just fuels my passion for theatre. If you haven’t done theatre for a while, and you’re a theatre person you feel yourself really dying inside. I’m sure you know how it feels when you’re just like, ‘I need creativity!’[...] I didn’t know they were going to do Boeing Boeing, but I read for them, and they liked me. They thought I was a funny German, and they said, ‘Yeah! Since you can do the accent. Go!’
 

Did you initially read for Gretchen’s part?

“I read for Gretchen’s part. They called me for Gretchen. It was great, because after they had me read, they stopped looking for someone, and said, ‘Ok! You’ve got it!’  On the spot, and I was like, “Wow! Amazing! Great!  


For more information on Repertory Philippines, check out their website at www.repertory.ph and for tickets, if course, for tickets please visit our website at www.ticketworld.com.ph, reach us on our hotline at 891-9999 or visit our many TicketWorld outlets!


No comments:

Post a Comment